no, I'm not talking about the ahbeng techno song, or the countdown to 2007. I'm talking about the days to the time I leave NUS! Of cos, I feel ambivalent! But it also means that I got some time to slack before I start work in the H0me Team!! Looking forward to the challenge! So guys, if you wanna meet up, I'm clearing leave from 21st Dec till year end and will be free all the way to 14th Jan! Woohoo!
There were so many things I've been wanting to blog about. Lost the mood and lost some thoughts. Anyway, I think one of the things that was getting to me was the fact that some of us have ugly thoughts/stereotypes ingrained inside us. I've had at least three instances in the past few days and it's disturbing. More disturbing because all of these ppl are graduates/undergrads and are supposedly active/good Christians (when I say I include Catholics and rightly so). I can think back to a few more graduates who hold stereotypes of certain races exhibiting certain traits. For example, if you're of a particular race, you are a drunkard and when you go home after you drink, you will beat up your wife. I mean, wtf? Don't you have any *ucking brains? Can't you think of exceptions? Can't you see that not all ppl of this race drink? Just look at my dad - he doesn't drink a drop, save for Yomeishu (if you wanna count tt). And so what if a person drinks? Does it mean he will go home and beat his wife? Think of at least one person you know who will become inactive/sleep after he drinks? I know of nan. I think it's the personality more than anything that determines if you will beat you wife; the alcohol just helps u lose the inhibitions. And what about foreign workers? Come on, are we gonna stereotype all of them just because there're some are bad hats? Are all of them gonna molest/rape you? I think it's fine to take precautions or just be on the safe side but pls, there's a fine line la.
How like that, the supposed educated in our society can't break out of stereotypes, what about the rest. Just feel so vexed thinking about these ppl. I think after a particular conversation this wk, I realised what kind of person I was talking to and it disgusted me so much I just couldn't continue. I hope you wake up.
During the week, I read in the newspapers and was impressed by our Pope's actions in Turkey. I think that he chose to do the right thing and as mentioned, his action spoke louder than any apology could. I think religious understanding and tolerance is something very important. It's def not an issue to have an opinion or to subscribe to a particular doctrine or religious belief; but to enforce it and try to force it down the throat of others. What does tt say about u? As Christians, should we condemn/ostracise/discriminate against those who we feel are not following the right path? How far are we from the racists I talked about earlier if we are to tell ourselves, "I'm not gonna get to mix with this person or get to know this person better" cos of his/her religion? If we are like this, how far from the Pharisees are we? Would this be something Jesus would do? Jesus who ate with the prostitutes and tax collectors while the Pharisees were busy criticising others and failing to recognise the logs in their bloody eyes? So how then do we draw the line between the racist and the fervent Christian? I don't pretend that I have a ready answer. I'm still discerning. But basically, the gist of it seems to be, at the end of the day, would Jesus have done it the same way and are we reaching out to others if we choose to take that particular action.
Sorry if the stuff mentioned are too heavy. I don't even know if I'm being coherent but been bogged down with these thoughts recently.
Anyway, another decision has been made though I'm tempted to add something in that will dramatically change everything.
Will be leaving for Perth soon! Exciting yet stressful cos have to plan everything on my own. Hope I rem everything:
Plane tics - check
Hotel booking - check
Visas - check
Travel insurance - check
Change money - not yet!
Lonely Planet guide - check!
Anything else I forgot guys? :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
yeah, some people are stupid that way. best to ignore them! but usually its ingrained from young, don't u think its sad though?
who-to-buy-presents-for list DUH!
who-to-buy-presents-for list DUH!
urm.. clean underwear?
Oi ur joining the Home Team?!?!?!?! Wah lau why never tell me! Same as Wayne issit??
heyhey nice to see all of you!
Justin: thanks bro! Hope your mouth and teeth are feeling better (you had ur wisdom tooth removed right?)
Val: No la, just one set enough liaoz mah! kidding..anyway, havent seen you since that fateful night *gasp* hope all is well!
Aunty!! Haha, similar to Wayne but mine is counseling...haha at least now we r on the same team ya? :)
haha, just realised I forgot to reply to Deborah & MarkG!
yes Deborah, I think its very sad...but is there something we can do about it to change the situation? hmmm...
MarkG, sorry bro...no $$ la, blew it all flying & staying there...btw, shdn't U be thinking of what to get ME?!? :P
Ok cool man. Cya ard then!
Post a Comment